Monday, September 5, 2011

Another piece of the storage puzzle

It truly does pay to frequent Goodwills and thrift stores in your area.  I scored again and only spent $34.00 on 2 major pieces that I have been needing. Here it the first one.
She is a little flimsy but for $14.50 she will hold my daughter's undies and t-shirts just fine.
I scrubbed her up well and gave her a coat of white paint.
Oh, I also painted the handles chrome.

I have been seeing this technique of applying decals to furniture and I thought I would give it a try.


First you start out with an image. I found most of mine at
The Graphics Fairy
She has a great selection.
Make sure if you have writing on the image that you mirror it. 
I had a heck of a time with that since my printer doesn't have a mirror setting but I figured it out with the copier at school.
Here is where I messed up on this one. See the big glops of glue that I left.  I was thinking the old adage that the more the merrier would work here but it doesn't...
Make sure you have a thin layer of Mod Pog and make sure it is smooth, no big glops.
You then want to apply it to your furniture piece.  you will need wait until it dries.  This is usually overnight, but make sure it it fully dry. Then comes the fun part...

You wet the paper with a damp rag and go to town rubbing the paper off.

This is how it looks now.



Not sure how I am feeling about it but my daughter loves it and that's all that matter!

And we are one step closer to organization in the Painted Palace.
Stay tuned to see the other piece of furniture I bought the same day for only $19.50 and the cool idea I have for it...
As Always,
Karie

Linking to:
The Graphic Fairy

1 comment:

  1. Aaawww, what a wonderful project for your daughter!

    Deborah (happily visiting from
    http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/)

    {Hope you'll pop by my space too...}

    ReplyDelete